Tom Byer Roofing: Orange County’s Best Full-Service Roofing
Tom Byer Roofing has been covering Orange County homes and businesses since 1982. Today, we’re going stronger than ever.
We still offer our customers the same great service that built the business more than 40 years ago, and as for roofing options — well, they’re through the roof. There have never before been so many great choices available to home and business owners.
No matter what type of roofing you have or need, we can install it, repair it, or replace it. From asphalt composition shingles to shake slate mission clay, we’ll get the job done fast, affordably, and reliably. Here are just a few of the roofing materials we can work with.
Asphalt Composition Shingles
Of all the shingles on the market, asphalt composition shingles are the most common. It’s easy to see why.
- They’re affordable and relatively simple to install, the most price-friendly option.
- Optional coated shingles can help you meet Energy Star standards for a cool roof and earn you a rebate.
However, they have their downsides.
- They’re not as durable as many other roofing materials, lasting only 20 to 30 years.
- Excepting fiberglass dimensional architecture shingles, they’re not as stylish as most other roofing choices.
Wood shingles are durable and pleasing to the eye. Their lifespan will depend partly on the wood of the shingle, and partly on the quality of your care for them. But a high-quality hardwood shingle roof, properly maintained, can last 50 years (almost as long as Tom Byer Roofing!)
If you’d rather not perform the maintenance yourself, or if you’re not sure how to do it, call Tom Byer.
These are most common in the Northeastern United States, where they’re usually quarried. However, their popularity has been spreading because they’re elegant and durable, offering a more European aesthetic. Their primary drawback is price. Slate shingles cost significantly more than most other options.
Tile shingles are the most expensive to purchase and install, but this investment can pay off in the long run. If the goal is to give your home a Mediterranean or Southwestern look, tile shingles are your only real option.
In addition, tile shingles are incredibly durable, lasting up to 80 years in some cases. You may never have to replace them! Leave that to generations to come.
Other Roofing Services We Offer
Roof & Carpentry Repairs
Never postpone a roof repair if you want your roof to last. Small problems become big problems in a hurry. These include:
- Clogged Gutters: Stagnant, pooled water, and even the strain from the weight of clogged gutters can damage your roof.
- Deteriorating Shingles: Roof shingles are the first line of defense against the forces of nature. Damaged shingles lose their ability to protect, leading to problems with the rest of the roof, including underlying carpentry.
- Wood Rot: Any rot within the wooden structures of your roof is a major cause for concern. Rot will compromise the structural integrity of your roof, putting it at risk of collapse. It can also spread into the rest of your home.
- Mold & Mildew: These two problems spread fast! Unless you catch them early, they might necessitate the replacement of the entire roof frame. Do NOT delay! If you notice anything that might look like mold or mildew, give us a call.
Emergency Roof Repairs
Proper roof repairs can take time, especially if other roofs in your area have been damaged by a natural disaster like a fire or storm. Emergency roofing can protect your home and even make it habitable until permanent repairs are made.
Emergency roof repairs are best done by a professional roofing company. DIY efforts can be dangerous in ineffective; besides, roofing companies have access to stronger materials than those available in most hardware stores. We can shrink wrap any holes or exposed areas, including holes in walls, structural supports, or decks.
Roof cover-ups are a good solution for damaged roofs that can’t be repaired immediately. The most common roof covering material is blue tarp, which comes in a variety of sizes and can be easily secured to most roofs.
A little maintenance is all it takes to keep your roof looking great and performing well. A simple inspection by a roofing pro can help identify any potential issues so that minor repairs can be done before serious damage occurs.
Shingle, tile, and flat roofs all need periodic maintenance to replace missing or cracked tiles and to ensure that flashing and underlayment are in good condition.
Some maintenance, like cleaning gutters or shingles, is ok to DIY, but tile roof cleaning and ridge cap repairs, skylight repairs, antenna removal, and roof coatings are best left to people who do that kind of work for a living.
Roof Insurance Inspections
If you’re trying to secure or renew a home insurance policy, your provider may require a professional roof inspection. Without this, your application for coverage could be denied.
For a small fee, we’ll perform a thorough examination that should meet your provider’s guidelines. And if you fail to pass inspection, we have a range of affordable options for roof repair or replacement to satisfy your insurance carrier.