Residential Roofing in Orange County
Your roof does a lot of work; it keeps your home and your family protected from the elements, and it helps your home look its best. Because of the importance of your roof, you should only trust it to true experts, like those of us at Tom Byer Roofing Service. With more than half a century in business, we have the knowledge and experience needed to ensure a job well done.
Any Type of Roofing
No matter what type of roofing you have, we can install it, repair it, or replace it. From asphalt composition shingles to shake slate mission clay, our team will get the job done. Below are just some of the types of shingles we can work with:
Asphalt Composition Shingles
Out of the various types of shingles on the market, asphalt composition shingles are the most commonly used. These shingles have earned their rank due to their affordability; they are easily the most price-friendly option you can choose. You can also opt for coated shingles, which can help you meet Energy Star standards for a cool roof and earn you a rebate. However, they aren’t without their downsides; in terms of durability, they do not last as long as other options, lasting only 20 to 30 years, and they aren’t as stylish as other options, with the exception of fiberglass dimensional architecture shingles.
If you are looking for a shingle that is both durable and aesthetically pleasing, wood shingles are a great way to go. Their lifespan will depend on how well you care for them and the wood used; however, with regular care and quality hardwoods, these shingles can last 50 years. If you do not want to perform the regular care yourself, the Tom Byer Roofing team is happy to help.
These shingles are most common in the Northeastern part of the United States due to the slate quarries in the area. However, their use is spreading to other areas of the country due to the durability and aesthetic they offer. These shingles can last 50 years or more, and help to give homes a more European look. Their primary downside is their price, which is significantly more than the majority of other options.
Out of the most common materials used for shingles, tile is the most expensive to purchase and install. However, this investment pays off in several ways. First of all, if the aesthetic of your home is Mediterranean or Southwestern, there really is no other option that will do. On top of that, tile shingles are the most durable shingles you can use, lasting up to 80 years depending on the type of tile. With these shingles, you may never need to replace them.
Roof & Carpentry Repairs
If you want to make your roof last as long as possible, it is vital that you never put off a roof repair. Small issues with roofing become big issues in a hurry. No matter how major or minor the repair you need is, we are here to help. Some common problems we help repair include the following:
- Clogged Gutters: You might not think of these as a roofing problem, but clogged gutters can cause damage to your roofing due to stagnant water and even the strain from the weight of the clogged gutters.
- Deteriorating Shingles: Your home’s shingles are essentially its first line of defense against the forces of nature. Any problem with the shingles can lead to problems with the rest of the roof, including the carpentry.
- Wood Rot: Any rot within the wooden structures of your roof is major cause for concern. Rot can compromise the integrity of wooden structures, risking the collapse of your roof. Additionally, rot in the roof can spread into the rest of your home if left untreated.
- Mold and Mildew: These two spread fast, and unless you catch them early, they can require the replacement of the entire roof frame. As soon as you notice mold or mildew, give us a call.
Occasionally, problems will be too significant to address long term with repair alone, which means we need to make a decision between recommending a temporary fix, re-roofing, or roof replacement.
Assessing Damage After a Storm
After a strong storm, you need to make certain that your roof has not sustained any damage. You can do this on your own or with our help. Some of the things to check after the storm has passed include:
- The Attic: This will be the first place inside your home where you can see signs of damage. Look for any water or dampness that would indicate that your roof is no longer offering maximum protection.
- Check the Area: Are there any shingles or pieces of shingles in the yard that may have blown off of your home? It can be difficult to determine where they came from if most homes in the area have the same shingles, but you should err on the side of caution.
- Look at the Gutters, Vents, and Flashing: These parts may not be as significant as damage to the shingles or leaks getting into the house, but in the long term, they will matter a lot.
If you find any problems, call us so we can perform an inspection and determine what service you require.
Deciding Between Repair, Re-Roofing & Replacement
When possible, we will choose to extend the life of your roof rather than replace it, either through repairs or re-roofing, which refers to the replacement of shingles. However, sometimes replacement is necessary to protect the integrity of your home and ensure the safety of your family. During our inspection, we will determine how significant the problems are and then either recommend repair, re-roofing, or replacement. We will base our decision which option will offer you the best protection and be the most cost-effective for you over time.
Choose Tom Byer Roofing
When you need your residential roofing repaired or replaced, turn to Tom Byer Roofing Service. With more than a half a century in business, we have the experience you can trust. Contact us to schedule an initial consultation and receive your free quote. We look forward to working with you.